E Treaty/Investor Visa

Choose Experienced West Palm Beach Immigration Lawyers

An “E-Visa” classification includes special visas for those looking to do business on U.S. soil. There are a few kinds of E visas. An E-2 Treaty Investor Visa, according to the Department of Homeland Security, is a “nonimmigrant classification” designed to help a national of a country with which the U.S. does business to enter the U.S. when investing capital in a U.S.-based business. (A list of countries with which the U.S. has treaties of commerce can be viewed online.)

Are you eligible for an E-2 visa?

In addition to being a national of a country with which the U.S. does business, there are several qualifications for E-2 classification, including the following:

  • The treaty investor must have invested a significant amount of money in a U.S. business (the word “substantial,” in this case, refers to the cost of buying an existing business or creating a new one. The investor must show his or her financial commitment to the success of the business by investing a large amount of money in the business proportionate to the size of the business itself. In addition, the business should have the capacity to generate sufficient income to provide a living for the investor and his or her family);
  • He or she must be attempting to enter the U.S. only to build the investment enterprise;
  • The investor must show at least 50 percent ownership of the business;
  • The business must meet legal requirements for doing business in its jurisdiction.

Are employees eligible for an E-2 visa?

Separate qualifications exist for employees of treaty investors seeking E-2 classification; these can be viewed at the USCIS website. In short, the employee should be involved in an executive or supervisory role with his or her employer’s enterprise, having control over the organization’s overall operation or a major part of it.

Can family members enter the U.S. on an E-2 visa?

Both business investors and their employees who enter the U.S. on E-2 visas are allowed to bring spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 with them. Their family members are required to seek E-2 nonimmigrant classification as dependents and, if approved, are typically allowed to remain in the U.S. as long as their Treaty Investor family member.

How long can a person stay in the U.S. on an E-2 Visa?

If a person qualifies for a treaty investor visa, he or she is allowed to remain in the US. for a maximum of two years. Requests for extension are granted, without a limit to the number of extensions of say.

Sarah S. Rama, ESQ, LL.M. can help!

The seasoned international team at Sarah S. Rama, ESQ, LL.M. has ample experience aiding clients in successfully obtaining the E-2 Treaty Investor classification. We can explain everything you need to know about the process, including eligibility requirements, how to complete the required paperwork, and how to troubleshoot when and if the process doesn't go smoothly.

To learn more about how our team can help you and your family obtain this status, contact our dedicated West Palm Beach immigration attorneys. We can help simplify complicated legal concepts and terms, putting them into plain English, in any language!

Call to Schedule a Consultation

+1 561.744.2611

Limited to Federal Immigration Practice
Admitted in MA Only

Sarah S. Rama, ESQ, LL.M. - West Palm Beach Immigration Lawyer
Located at 777 South Flagler Drive, Suite 800 - West Tower West Palm Beach, FL 33401.
View Map
Phone: (561) 744-2611
Salem Address:
51 Washington Square North, Salem, MA 01970


The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Photos Credited to Lightshed Photography Studio, Salem, MA.