Business Investor Immigration Lawyer Sarah S. Rama


Immigration Lawyer Sarah S. Rama, ESQ., LL.M. – Global Immigration Results – LL.M. Masters of International Law & Finance Attorney.
The United States has treaties with many countries around the globe that allow foreign nationals to conduct business on U.S. soil, or to manage significant financial investments. Sarah S. Rama, ESQ., LL.M. understands the complexities that foreign citizens face when doing business in America. We have significant experience helping foreign nationals determine their eligibility to obtain E-1 and E-2 Visas, thereby allowing you to conduct business, manage investments, and to bring your family to the United States for the duration of the visa.

Unlike permanent resident investor visa status, which requires a $1 million threshold, there are no fixed dollar limits to treaty investment. Foreign nationals requiring E–1 or E–2 visas can pursue long-term business goals with these practical and easier to obtain visas; however, It is vital to partner with an attorney who understands the complexities of immigration business law. Sarah S. Rama, ESQ., LL.M. has helped countless clients successfully immigrate to the United States to conduct business.


Nationals of treaty countries who are involved in a significant amount of trade may qualify for an E–1 Treaty Trader Visa. There is no minimum level of trade required to qualify, although, the lower the volume of trade, the less likely you will be to obtain an E–1 visa.

If you are interested in obtaining an E–1 visa, you must meet the following qualifications:

  • You must be a citizen of one of the nearly 60 countries with current treaty agreements with the United States, and the business in question is required to have at least 50% ownership by nationals of the treaty country.
  • There must be significant trade between the United States and the treaty country, defined as more than 50% of the company’s international trade.
  • Trade is defined as the exchange, purchase, or sale of goods or services, the transfer of technology, and enforceable binding contracts that call for the immediate exchange of items of trade. Such trade must be continuous and ongoing.
  • You must be considered either the principal trader planning to come to the United States to engage in substantial trade, or an executive, manager, or employee with special skills crucial to the operation of the company.


Nationals of qualifying countries involved in making significant investments in the United States may qualify for an E–2 Treaty Investor Visa. Similar to the E–1 Treaty Trader Visa, there are no set minimum levels of investment to qualify for E–2 status, though again, the lower the investment, the less likely you are to qualify.

If you are interested in obtaining an E–1 visa, you must meet the following qualifications:

  • You must be a citizen of one of the treaty countries. In the case of a business, at least 50% of the company must be owned by nationals of the treaty country.
  • You or the company that you are acting as a representative of must have made, or be in the process of making, a significant capital investment (relative to the total value of the company) in a bona fide business enterprise operating within the United States.
  • You must either be the principal investor, tasked with directing and developing the enterprise, or an executive, supervisor, manager, or employee whose skills are crucial to the operation of the company within the United States.
  • The investment must have the present or future capacity to generate enough income to provide for minimal living standards for the investor, his or her family, and possibly employees, or have a present or future capacity to make a significant contribution to the American economy.


E visas are typically issued for two to five years. So long as eligibility continues and the agreement with the treaty country remains intact, extensions of stay in the United States may be granted.

At the border, holders of E visas will be admitted to the United States for a term of two years at each entry (so long as the visa is still valid). Extensions of stay within the United States may be granted for up to two years at a time from the appropriate United States Citizenship and Immigration Services center.

An E visa can be reissued for up to five years at the home consulate by filing the appropriate paperwork and providing necessary documentation establishing ongoing trade or the continued operation of the investment business enterprise. The spouse and children of E visa holders do not require the nationality of the treaty country. Children are permitted to attend schools, and spouses of E visa holders may be eligible to apply for employment authorization documentation.


Upon securing an E–1 or E–2 visa for the principal applicant, it is generally simple to obtain E visas for qualifying employees of the operation. Obtaining the registration typically takes 4–6 weeks, and obtaining visas for employees generally takes only 10–15 working days depending on the Embassy processing times.

Sarah S. Rama, ESQ., LL.M. has the experience to help you and your business navigate through the process of obtaining an E visa. Our immigration team has helped many individuals and businesses to begin doing business within the United States. If you are interested in learning more, contact our Boston or West Palm Beach office today to schedule a consultation.

Contact Us Now